bq: I've then read that solr 5 doesn't by default use the schema.xml file, but
is using a managed schema by default. Apparently, I can't alter the
schema.xml file (which I can't find) but now need to use a REST api.
However, since I'm using dynamic fields, I'm not sure if this is still
necessary.

Not at all, although it _is_ confusing. There's
1> "classic", i.e. non-cloud Solr
2> SolrCloud
and the cross product of
1> standard (there should be a conf/schema.xml file to edit)
2> schemaless
3> managed schema

So you have six possible configurations, although whether you're
running in cloud mode or not the schemaless and managed schemas
are used identically.

So, which ones are you interested in? If you're running in SolrCloud
mode, you won't find any conf directory to edit, the files are stored in
Zookeeper and you must use the zkcli script with the upconfig command
to change them. Although for development there's a sweet little
IntelliJ plugin that lets you edit them directly...

Best,
Erick