My _guess_ is that you're getting a cached page somehow and never
getting to Solr
at all when you don't see the new core. What happens if you look
at the admin UI from another machine? Or perhaps a different browser?

If you tail the Solr log when you are looking you should see the
request when you try to
see the new core, if you don't see a request come through then it's a
caching issue...

Or perhaps try issuing a core admin STATUS command?

http://solr:port/solr/admin/cores?action=STATUS

Best,
Erick