You're confusing a couple of things here.

First, I'm assuming that you are NOT using SolrCloud, but older-style
master/slave.
If that's not true, disregard the rest of this.

autoSoftCommit is _local_ and has nothing to do with changing the
Lucene segments.
And since you're not searching on the master, you might as well set
this to -1. It
really has no effect on the slaves since they're not doing any indexing.

Slaves periodically poll the master to see if the index has changed. What you're
describing is not having that process occur until after DIH is done in
order not to
get partial views of the data. What I'd do is just use the replication
API to force
replication after you know DIH is done. Especially in a situation
where re-indexing
is rare, this may be your best option. See:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Index+Replication

Or just disable polling on the slaves, do the DIH thing, then re-enable polling.

Best,
Erick