Frankly, I'm surprised it runs at all. 650M dos in 2G of memory is very,
very, very aggressive.
To get it to run at all I'm guessing that you have turned off things like
term vectors, position info
and the like.

Anyway...
Solr/Lucene cache various data as queries come in, so the scenario is this
I think
> Solr starts up
> you fire a query or two at it and it tries to load  caches then blows up
with OOM errors.

The fact that all your physical memory is used up is due to MMapDirectory
and isn't a problem, see:

http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

But you're really putting more documents in these machines than I _ever_
expect to see
in that little memory. I think you need to back up and do a sizing exercise
to set expectations, see:

https://lucidworks.com/blog/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-dont-have-a-definitive-answer/

Best,
Erick