Hello - You should index your terms as n-grams indeed, especially for
autocompletion. I do not understand why anyone would ever use facet.prefix or
facet.contains for any use other than a development tool. It won't perform on
any index larger than small.

Jan Høydahl has put up a thorough example for any Solr-user can understand
years ago, it'll help you make a decent autocomplete and improve understanding
of Lucene and Solr:
http://www.cominvent.com/2012/01/25/super-flexible-autocomplete-with-solr/