Yes I am fairly new to XSLT. I used the velocity response writer for some
prototypes. I found it very intuitive. But the requirement for the app
specifically rules it out and mandates the XSLT approach. I have finally got
it working. Thanks to all your help. Here's what I got (a minor correction
on your final suggestion; again, it is using the attributes here.). Here's
the final result for anyone else trying to do something similar.

  <xsl:template match='/'>
    <IMAGES>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="response/result/doc"/>
    </IMAGES>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="doc">
    <ID NewID="{str[@name='id']}"