First, I wanted to humbly thank the Solr community for their contributions
and feedback for our open source Solr sandbox, Splainer (http://splainer.io
and http://github.com/o19s/splainer). The reception and comments have been
generally positive and helpful, and I very much appreciate being part of
such a great open source community that wants to support each other.

What is Splainer exactly? Why should you care? Nobody likes working with
Solr in the browser's URL bar.  Splainer let's you paste in your Solr URL
and get an instant, easy to understand breakdown of why some documents are
ranked higher than others. It then gives you a friendly interface to tweak
Solr params and experiment with different ideas with a friendlier UI than
trying to parse through XML and JSON. You needn't worry about security
rules so that some splainer backend needing to talk to your Solr. The
interaction with Solr is 100% through your browser. If your PC can see
Solr, then so can Splainer running in your browser. If you leave work or
turn off the VPN, then Splainer can't see your Solr. It's all running
locally on your machine through the browser!

I wanted to share that we've been slowly adding features to Splainer. The
two I wanted to highlight, are captured in this blog article (
http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2015/07/24/splainer-a-solr-developers-best-friend/
)

To summarize, they include

- Explain Other
You often wonder why obviously relevant search results don't come back.
Splainer now gives you the ability to compare any document to secondary
document to see what factors caused one document to rank higher than another

- Share Splainerized Solr Results
Once you paste a Solr URL into Splainer, you can then copy the splainer.io
URL to share what you're seeing with a colleague. For example, here's some
information about Virginia state laws about hunting deer from a boat:

http://splainer.io/#?solr=http:%2F%2Fsolr.quepid.com%2Fsolr%2Fstatedecoded%2Fselect%3Fq%3Ddeer%20hunt%20from%20watercraft%0A%26defType%3Dedismax%0A%26qf%3Dcatch_line%20text%0A%26bq%3Dtitle:deer

There's many more smaller features and tweaks, but I wanted to let you know
this was out there. I hope you find Splainer useful. I'm very happy to
field pull requests, ideas, suggestions, or try to figure out why Splainer
isn't working for you!

Cheers!
--
*Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
<http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
of whether attachments are marked as such.