On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Bram de Jong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Erick Erickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> But are you sure you're not just masking the problem? That is, your limit
>> may now be 90,000 queries...
>>
>> I always assume this kind of thing is a memory leak somewhere, have you
>> any tools to monitor your memory consumption and see if that's ever-rising?
>
> 1. is it possible to tell Solr to use more cache mem than is allocated
> to the VM? Will this crash Solr? What are the defaults that java runs
> with? This is my config script:
> http://iua-share.upf.edu/svn/nightingale/trunk/sandbox/solr/config/solrconfig.xml

Use smaller caches unless you need bigger ones for some reason.

   <filterCache
      class="solr.search.LRUCache"
      size="65536"
      initialSize="16384"
      autowarmCount="16384"/>

If you aren't faceting, I'd make this smaller.

    <!-- queryResultCache caches results of searches - ordered lists of
         document ids (DocList) based on a query, a sort, and the range
         of documents requested.  -->
    <queryResultCache
      class="solr.LRUCache"
      size="32768"
      initialSize="32768"
      autowarmCount="16384"/>

This is definitely too big.  There's almost never a reason to autowarm
that many queries too.  I could see setting the autowarm count
anywhere from 10 to 100.  The query cache itself probably doesn't need
to be larger than a few hundred.

  <!-- documentCache caches Lucene Document objects (the stored fields
for each document).
       Since Lucene internal document ids are transient, this cache
will not be autowarmed.  -->
    <documentCache
      class="solr.LRUCache"
      size="32768"
      initialSize="32768"
      autowarmCount="0"/>

This is probably too big also, and probably doesn't buy you much.
I'd set it anywhere from 64 to 1024

-Yonik