I'm not sure if you mean organizing function queries under the hood in a
query component or externally.

Externally, I've always followed John Berryman's great advice for working
with Solr when dealing with complex/reusable function queries and boosts
http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2013/11/22/parameterizing-and-organizing-solr-boosts/

-Doug

--
*Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
<http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
of whether attachments are marked as such.