This feels a little like an XY problem, from Hossman's apache page:

Your question appears to be an "XY Problem" ... that is: you are dealing
with "X", you are assuming "Y" will help you, and you are asking about "Y"
without giving more details about the "X" so that we can understand the
full issue.  Perhaps the best solution doesn't involve "Y" at all?
See Also: http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341

So what is X? What requirement is driving needing to index terms
in a specific order? You may, indeed, have to do exactly what you're
asking about, just checkin'....

Best,
Erick