Hello Jamie,
I don't understand how it could choose DocValuesFacets (it occurs on
docValues=true) field, but then switches to UninvertingReader/FieldCache
which means docValues=false. If you can provide more details it would be
great.
Beside of that, I suppose you can only implement and inject your own
UninvertingReader, I don't think there is an extension point for this. It's
too specific requirement.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev