Thanks for the reply Erick.

How do I get the position? I am searching on e.g. car model and make, and I
want to show on which position the members's first car falls for that
specific car model and make. So I tell solr, get listing for the cars with
the model and make. I want from that result, if the member's first result
is 208th document, could be 2008th.

Well the web interface that I need to implement is different though. In
actual the member will see all his cars with where for "make and model" his
first result comes. If I get the above thing to work, I'd basically search
solr for each of his car's make and model. It will be 12 or 24 cars per
page, so it's not the best solution but still better if solr can give the
position. Alternate would be to I have to loop all the results pr solr
search, that would be even worse, 12 * 10000+ results. I may even have
limit the search to 1000 positions per make and model or some other cap and
show user not the exact position if not found in the 1000 result.

Maybe I am not thinking in the right direction using Solr for this. Can't
think how I'd get the position any other way as the site's public pages use
solr for listing.

-
Regards,
Shayan