If you have just 5-7 items, then an external file will work, as will the
join query. You'll need to handle the 'default' case with the join
query, that is, making sure you do <some query> OR <join query> so that
documents matching the join are boosted above those matching the main
query, rather than the join being a filter on the main query.

I can provide examples if needed.

Upayavira