Arcadius:

Hmmm. It may take a while for the cluster state to change, but I'm
assuming that this state persists for minutes/hours/days.

So to recap: If dump the entire ZK node from the root, you have
1> liveNodes has N nodes listed (correctly)
2> clusterstate.json has N+M nodes listed as "active"

Doesn't sound right to me, but I'll have to let people who are deep
into that code speculate from here.

Best,
Erick