From: Doug Turnbull [mailto:dturnb...@opensourceconnections.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:55 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Stemmer and stopword Development

I've used stopwords to reduce the index size considerably to improve search
performance (same with stemming, etc). For relevance I've often preferred to
leave stop words in for the reasons Upayavira mentions. There's all kinds of
confusing things taht can happen with stopwords that sometimes they're not
worth the trouble.

For an example of something confusing that happens when you take out stopwords
from the index, it interacts a bit unintuitively with min should match
http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2013/04/15/querying-more-fields-more-results-stop-wording-and-solrs-mm-min-should-match-argument/

Cheers
-Doug

--
*Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
<http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull> This e-mail and all
contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential
unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are
marked as such.