Top level queries need a *:* in front, something like
q=*:* -usrlatlong_0_coordinate:[* TO *]

I just took a quick check and just using usrlatlong:[* TO *]
encounters a parse error.

P.S. It would help if you told us what you _did_ receive
when you tried your options. Parse errors? All docs?

Best,
Erick