Hi Satya,

during these days I'm working at this problem, and as far as I understood,
this is an hard problem to solve.
You can add in different ways synonyms in your index but the query parser
is unable to match them.

I have read many articles around, this is the best I found:

http://lucidworks.com/blog/automatic-phrase-tokenization-improving-lucene-search-precision-by-more-precise-linguistic-analysis/

For me there is only one big problem with this solution, I use edismax.
OTOH, the search handler available in this project extends
the QParserPlugin which is an abstract class that can be used to define
customized user query process. Basically it only explains how to fix the
problem.

This is interesting but not very much useful, so I have modified the
plugin, now AutoPhrasingQParserPlugin extends ExtendedDismaxQParserPlugin
adding auto phrasing capability to edismax.

https://github.com/freedev/auto-phrase-tokenfilter

Consider that the code has been modified to work with SolrCloud 4.8.1.
But there is not very much work to adapt the code to another SolrCloud
version.

Best,
Vincenzo

--