On Wed, Sep 23, 2015, at 04:34 PM, Gora Mohanty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There seems to have been a significant spike in spam emails forwarded
> to moderators. While the volume is still tractable, what surprises me
> is that almost all of these ought to have been caught by automated
> spam filters. E.g., a significant fraction of the spam seems to
> originate from just a few email addresses. Surely it is possible to
> black-list such addresses after they have been marked as spam several
> times, and have never had a successful post?

I think you'll find spam handling is something of an art-form, and an
ongoing catch-up race. I think you'll also find it horrific how much
spam ASF infrastructure blocks before it gets to moderators.

If you have specific questions about spam handling, then I'd suggest you
ask on the ASF infrastructure list, but generally, we can expect that
there will be occasions when something that seems obviously spam gets
through our systems.

Upayavira