On 10/1/2015 9:26 AM, Adrian Liew wrote:
> Thanks for that. You did mention about starting out with empty collections
> and already I am experiencing timeout issues. Could this have to do with the
> hardware or server spec sizing itself. For example, lack of memory allocated,
> network issues etc. that can possibly cause this? Given Azure has a 99.95
> percent SLA, I don't think this could be a network issue.
>
> I am currently using a 4 core 7 GB RAM memory machine for an individual Solr
> Server.
>
> I don't quite understand why this is happening as I am just trying to setup a
> bare bones Solr Cloud setup using Solr 5.3.0 and Zookeeper 3.4.6.
>
> Any tips will be much appreciated.

Since I don't know anything about your install except for the number of
CPU cores and RAM, I can only give you general information.

One problem that can plague new installs is that the default Java heap
size for a Solr 5.x install is 512MB.  This works great when you first
fire it up, but as you add data, quickly becomes very limiting, and
needs to be increased.  The GC pauses that occur when the heap is too
small can be extreme.

Since you are on Windows, there is no install script.  Adding something
like "-m 3g" to the startup commandline will allocate more memory (3GB
for my example) to the Java heap.  Note that if your index data gets
very big, your VM might need more memory in order for OS disk caching to
be effective.

Thanks,
Shawn