You would need an analyzer or char filter factory that removed all spaces. But
then you would only get one “edge”. That would make “to be or not to be” into
the single token “tobeornottobe”. I don’t think that fixes anything.

Stemming and prefix matching do very different things. Use them in different
analysis chains stored in separate fields.

The exact example you list will work fine with stemming and phrase search.
Check out the phrase search support in the edismax query parser.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org