Solr does not guarantee  backwards compatibility more than one major
version back. That is,
Solr 3.x is guaranteed to at least read Solr 1.4 indexes (there was no
Solr 2.x).
Solr 4x can read 3x but not 1.x.
Solr 5x can read 4x indexes, but not 3x

You really only have two choices here. You _could_ try to install Solr
3.x and optimize.
Then install Solr 4x and optimize. HOpefully this rewrites the entire
index to 4.x
Then install Solr 5x.

You could also try the indexupgrader tool, see:
https://lucene.apache.org/core/4_0_0/core/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexUpgrader.html.
I'm not sure how many revisions this can "reach back", I.e. if the 4.x
index upgrader
can read the 1.4, then you're pretty well set, since Solr 5 should be
able to read the 4.x
format.

But what I'd really do is just re-index the corpus if at all possible.
The index upgrade process
works reasonable well, but there will be some options that have been
added, others that have
been deprecated in terms of the schema etc.

Best,
Erick