To chime in, in certain cases the memory requirements for 4x (and 5x) are _much_
improved, see:
https://lucidworks.com/blog/2012/04/06/memory-comparisons-between-solr-3x-and-trunk/

But as Shawn says, it's not a magic bullet.

Solr 5 requires Java 7, so that's one thing to be aware of. Plus, you
either have to upgrade
your indexes to 4.x, then install/upgrade to 5x or if you want to jump
straight from
3x to 5x, you need to re-index from scratch; Solr 5x will not read an
index created with
Solr 3x.

And rather than have a master/slave setup you'll probably want to
migrate to SolrCloud
as well, it's much easier to create/manage a cluster with shards with SolrCloud.

Best,
Erick