On Tue, Oct 27, 2015, at 10:50 AM, Nikolay Shuyskiy wrote:
> Den 2015-10-22 17:54:44 skrev Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>:
>
> > On 10/22/2015 8:29 AM, Nikolay Shuyskiy wrote:
> >> I imagined that I could, say, add two new nodes to SolrCloud, and split
> >> shard so that two new shards ("halves" of the one being split) will be
> >> created on those new nodes.
> >>
> >> Right now the only way to split shard in my situation I see is to create
> >> two directories (shard_1_0 and shard_1_1) and mount new volumes onto
> >> them *before* calling SPLITSHARD. Then I would be able to split shards,
> >> and after adding two new nodes, these new shards will be replicated, and
> >> I'll be able to clean up all the data on the first node.
> >
> > The reason that they must be on the same node is because index splitting
> > is a *Lucene* operation, and Lucene has no knowledge of Solr nodes, only
> > the one index on the one machine.
> >
> > Depending on the overall cloud distribution, one option *might* be to
> > add a replica of the shard you want to split to one or more new nodes
> > with plenty of disk space, and after it is replicated, delete it from
> > any nodes where the disk is nearly full.  Then do the split operation,
> > and once it's done, use ADDREPLICA/DELETEREPLICA to arrange everything
> > the way you want it.
> Thank you, that makes sense and is a usable alternative for us for the
> time being.
> Probably we have to consider using implicit routing for the future so
> that
> we could add new nodes without dealing with splitting.

Depends upon the use-case. For things like log files, use time based
collections, then create/destroy collection aliases to point to them.

I've had a "today" alias that points to logs_20151027 and logs_20151026,
meaning all content for the last 24hrs is available via
http://localhost:8983/solr/today. I had "week" and "month" also.

Dunno if that works for you.

Upayavira