Hi Erick,

Thanks for your help. I am fairly new to Solr.

I'm not set on using SolrCloud. No need for ZooKeeper or multiple leader
nodes.

What I have is an existing instanceDir (with a conf and data directory,
with all requisite components) and I would like to create a new core based
on this preexisting directory.

To that effect, I am trying to use the SolrAdmin CREATE method. I have Solr
5.3.1 installed on my machine, and am trying to create a core where
instanceDir is a path to the core (also on my machine). Even if I move
instanceDir into the Solr root, I still see that the only fields returned
in the schema are the default fields.

If there is an preferable (non-cloud) way to create a core to point at an
existing instanceDir please advise!

Thank you,
Natasha