My colleagues will correct me if i am wrong.
Solr Join is actually not the same as Relational Join.
This means that you can return in the result only one layer of entities (
the parent layer or the child layer ) even if your original search was on a
different layer.
You can search on children and return all the parents ( and vice versa) but
not returning both children and parents together.
Because of this I believe could be a problem to highlight the content that
was in the children.

As nested faceting is becoming more complete I believe soon , also nested
Highlighting could become a priority.
I encourage anyone that has a more updated view on this to correct me.

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro

"Tyger, tyger burning bright