Hi Alessandro,

I have followed your same path, having a look at java source. I inherited
an installation with CloudSolrServer (I still had solrcloud 4.8) but I was
not sure it was the right choice instead of the (apparently) more appealing
ConcurrentUpdateSolrClient.

As far as I understood, ConcurrentUpdateSolrClient is rooted with older
versions of solr, may be older than the cloud version.
Because of ConcurrentUpdateSolrClient constructors signature, they don't
accept a zookeeper client or host:port as parameter.

On the other hand, well, I'm not sure that a concurrent client does a job
better than the standard CloudSolrServer.

Best,
Vincenzo

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Alessandro Benedetti <abenede...@apache.org
> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I was taking a look to the implementation details to understand how Solr
> requests are written by SolrJ APIs.
> The interesting classes are :
>
> *org.apache.solr.client.solrj.request.RequestWriter*
>
> *org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.BinaryRequestWriter* ( wrong package ? )
>
> I discovered that :
>
> *CloudSolrClient *- is using the javabin format ( *BinaryRequestWriter*)
> *HttpSolrClient *and* LBHttpSolrClient* - are using the *RequestWriter* (
> which writes xml)
>
> In consequence the ConcurrentUpdateSolrClient is using the xml
> ResponseWriter as well.
>
> Is there any reason in this ?
> I did know that the javabin  format is the most efficient for Solr
> requests.
> Why the xml RequestWriter is still used as default with those SolrClients ?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
>
> Benedetti Alessandro
>
> "Tyger, tyger burning bright