Hello,

I have a legacy Solr schema that I would like to update to take advantage of
DocValues. I understand that by adding "docValues=true" to some of my fields, I
can improve sorting/faceting performance. However, I have a couple of questions:

1.)    Will Solr always take proper advantage of docValues when it is turned
on, or will I gain greater performance by turning of stored/indexed in
situations where only docValues are necessary (e.g. a sort-only field)?

2.)    Will adding docValues to a field introduce significant performance
penalties for non-docValues uses of that field, beyond the obvious fact that
the additional data will consume more disk and memory?

I'm asking this question because the existing schema has some multi-purpose
fields, and I'm trying to determine whether I should just add "docValues=true"
wherever it might help, or if I need to take a more thoughtful approach and
potentially split some fields with copyFields, etc. This is particularly
significant because my schema makes use of some dynamic field suffixes, and I'm
not sure if I need to add new suffixes to differentiate docValues/non-docValues
fields, or if it's okay to turn on docValues across the board "just in case."

Apologies if these questions have already been answered - I couldn't find a
totally clear answer in the places I searched.

Thanks!

- Demian