Have you looked at the Spatial extensions for Solr? If you are indexing
Lat/Lon along with your documents, you can compute the distance from the
origin & use that distance as one of the boost factors to affect the score.
Typically, use cases around that combine the geo score with other factors
as a pure sort by geo score might not give you the relevant results.

e.g. typing to search for "sushi restaurants" near Santa Monica, CA - you
might not want "thai restaurants" that are closest to you. (Local Search
use case)

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Spatial+Search

*Sameer Maggon*
www.measuredsearch.com <http://measuredsearch.com/>
Fully Managed Solr-as-a-Service | Solr Consulting | Solr Support