Hi Aswath,
It is not common to test only QPS unless it is static index most of the time. Usually you have to test and tune worst case scenario - max expected indexing rate + queries. You can get more QPS by reducing query latency or by increasing number of replicas. You manage latency by tuning Solr/JVM/queries and/or by sharding index. You first tune index without replication and when sure it is best single index can provide, you introduce replicas to achieve required throughput.

Hard part is tuning Solr. You can do it without specialized tools, but tools help a lot. One such tool is Sematext's SPM - https://sematext.com/spm/index.html where you can see all necessary Solr/JVM/OS metrics needed to tune Solr. It also provides QPS graph.

With index your size, unless documents are really big, you can start without sharding. After tuning, if not satisfied with query latency, you can try splitting to two shards.

Thanks,
Emir