Thanks Erick.

The 1500 fields is a design that I inherited.  I'm trying to figure out why
it was done as such and what it will take to fix it.

What about my other question: how does one go about debugging performance
issues in Solr to find out where time is mostly spent?  How do I know my
Solr parameters, such as cache and what have you are set right?  From what
I see, we are using the defaults off solrconfig.xml.

I'm on Solr 5.2

Steve