On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:16:41 -0700 (PDT)
Chris Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> bingo.  even if a wildcard like syntax was allowed in the qf/pf of dismax
> since the same boost would be applied to each field the results would be
> roughly the same as if you used copyField -- and searching a single field
> will be faster then searching N other fields)
>
> (i say "roughly" the same because the tf/idf of the individual fields
> would be different then a single consolidated field, so there would be
> variations in the score ... but the basic results should be the same.  if
> you really care about tuning the score, you'd wnat to assign seperate
> boosts per field name anyway, and then you're right back to not
> needing/wanting to use a glob syntax)

thanks Chris, that makes perfect sense.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway
where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a
negative side."
   Hunter S. Thompson

Warned.