Note that you don't need to restart cores, just use the Collections
API to reload the entire collection at once and get the config
changes.

The article you're referencing is from 2013, and things have changed.
All of the start/stop operations should be done with the script
located in bin/solr. See:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Solr+Start+Script+Reference

I'd really recommend you use the reference guide as your place to
start. You can download the whole thing as a single PDF which is very
useful, it gives you a single, up-to-date place to search rather than
getting mislead by old blogs.

Best,
Erick