I see. There appears to be a gap in what you can match on and what will get
highlighted:

<str name="fl">id, title, content_type, last_modified, url, score </str>

<str name="hl.fl">id, title, content, author, tag</str>

Unless you override fl or hl.fl in url parameters you can get a hit in
content_type, last_modified, url, or score and those fields will not get
highlighted. Try adding those fields to hl.fl.

k/r,
Scott