Hi Phillippa,
My guess would be that you are running some heavy queries (faceting/deep paging/large pages) or have high query load (can you give bit details about load) or have misconfigured caches. Do you query entire index or you have query routing?

You have big machine and might consider running two Solr on each node (with smaller heap) and split shards so queries can be more parallelized, resources better utilized, and smaller heap to GC.

Regards,
Emir