One workaround is to use the 'important terms' feature to grab the query
generated by the MLT handler, then parse that list into your own solr query
to use through a standard search handler.  That way, you can get the same
results as if you used the MLT handler, and you can also use filter
querying, highlighting, etc.

Note:  I am currently running a Solr 5.0.0 Single-Core installation