What shalin says is solid and will work with solr 5.x as well as 3.x
You could do a little poc if you want to be absolutely certain. Shouldn't
take you very long.
Your only concern will be that your old docs won't be matched against
queries matched against the newly added fields.

--
Regards,
Binoy Dalal