AFAIK your text field can be as big as your resources make possible.
The flip side is that, the bigger the field, the longer it'll take to
search, and more importantly return. If you plan on storing and returning
your entire 4/5 MB field, it is going to take you a lot of time. I mean A
LOT! For one of my instances where we had all text fields of around 100kb
in size with around a million similarly sized docs, it took a good 10 secs
to search and return the fields. So you should plan accordingly. If you
absolutely have to have such large fields then you should think about
highlighting the results and then just returning the snippets instead of
the entire document.

I suggest that instead of making changes to your running production system,
you set up a separate instance where you can play around and finalize your
schema design. Once that is done, simply index all your content and point
your app to the new solr instance and then take down the old one. This way
you'll be sure to not mess things up in the prod system and will have
minimal downtime.

--
Regards,
Binoy Dalal