From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerick...@gmail.com]
Sent: martedì 12 gennaio 2016 02:27
To: solr-user <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Change leader in SolrCloud

bq:  It seems to me a huge
wasting of resources.

How else would you guarantee consistency? Especially taking in to account
Lucene's write-once segments? Master/Slave sidesteps the problem by moving
entire, closed segments to the slave, but as Shawn says if the master goes down
the slaves don't have _any_ docs from the not-closed segments.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org> wrote:
> On 1/11/2016 1:23 PM, Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer wrote:
>> Ok, this imply that if I have X replica of a shard, the document is indexed
>> X+1 times? one for each replica plus the leader shard? It seems to me a huge
>> wasting of resources.
>>
>> In a Master/slave scenario indexing takes places only on master node, then
>> slave replicates analyzed data.
>
> The leader *is* a replica.  So if you have a replicationFactor of
> three, you have three replicas for each shard.  For each shard, one of
> those replicas gets elected to be the leader.  You do not have a
> leader and two replicas.
>
> Th
e above is perhaps extremely pedantic, but understanding how SolrCloud