What problem are you trying to solve?

If you're trying to cut out "bad" results, I might suggest explicitly using
filters that eliminate undesirable search items in terms that are
meaningful to how your users evaluate relevance.

For example, let's say your users only want items that have at least one
match in the title. One natural way to do this is to create a filter query
like *fq={!edismax qf=title mm=1 v=$q} *(where q is the user's plaintext
query). That's just an example, maybe you'd like to have some other
criteria for cutting out poor results? Use a filter query and express what
you need to trim out to Solr :)

-Doug

--
*Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections
<http://opensourceconnections.com>, LLC | 240.476.9983
Author: Relevant Search <http://manning.com/turnbull>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
of whether attachments are marked as such.