Correction:

Thanks.  I tried what you said and sill have problems.  I removed sharedLib
from solr.xml, so solr.xml is back to its original state.  I then placed a
lib directory containing my jar into the solr home directory, which is
/solr-5.4.0/server/solr.  I then ran bin/solr start -e cloud -noprompt

Received error:  Error CREATEing SolrCore 'gettingstarted_shard1_replica2':
Unable to create core [gettingstarted_shard1_replica2] Caused by:
com.rwl.querygen.plugin.MyQueryComponent

Log said:  Error loading class 'com.rwl.querygen.plugin.MyQueryComponent'

Obviously, it can't find the jar containing MyQueryComponent.  I know I'm
doing something wrong, but I'm stuck again.  Thanks in advance for any
further advice.