Hi,

I’ve have a large index that has been added to over several years, and I’ve
discovered that I have many segments that haven’t been updated for well over a
year, even though I’m adding, updating and deleting records daily. My five
largest segments all haven’t been updated for over a year.

Meanwhile, the number of segments I have keeps on increasing, and I have
hundreds of segment files that don’t seem to be getting merged past a certain
size (e.g. the largest is 2Gb but my older segments are over 100Gb).

My understanding was that background merges should be merging these older
segments with newer data over time, but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’m using Solr 4.9, but I was using an older version at the time that these
‘older’ segments were created.

Any help on suggestions of what’s happening would be very much appreciated. And
also any suggestion on how I can monitor what’s happening with the background
merges.

Thanks,

James