Yes and Yes. The developers try very hard to make Solr
one major release backwards compatible. So 5x should be
able to read 4x just fine.

Nothing has really changed in replication, so 5x supports
master/slave. It's just becoming less popular as SolrCloud
is significantly easier to operationalize.

Note that as segments get written they will be transformed from 4x
format to 5x. And you can also use the index upgrade tool here:
https://lucene.apache.org/core/5_0_0/core/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexUpgrader.html

to transform your 4x to 5x

Best,
Erick