Thank you Shawn for your reply. Here is my structure of cores and shards

Shard 1 = localhost:8983/solr_2014 [3 Core  - Employee, Service Tickets,
Departments]
Shard 2 = localhost:8983/solr_2015 [3 Core  - Employee, Service Tickets,
Departments]
Shard 3 = localhost:8983/solr_2016 [3 Core  - Employee, Service Tickets,
Departments]

While searching, I use distributed search feature to search data from all
three shards in respective cores e.g. If I want to search from Employee
data for all three years, I search from Employee core of three contexts.
This is legacy design, do you think this is okay, or this require immediate
restructure / design? I am going to try this,

Context = localhost:8982/solr (9 cores - Employee-2014, Employee-2015,
Employee-2016, ServiceTickets-2014, ServiceTickets-2015,
ServiceTickets-2016, Department-2014, Department-2015, Department-2016]
distributed search would be from all three cores of same data category
(i.e. For Employee search, it would be from Employee-2014, Employee-2015,
Employee-2016).

Regarding one Solr context per jetty; I cannot run two solr contexts
pointing to different data in Jetty, as while starting jetty I have to
provide -Dsolr.solr.home variable - which ends up pointing to one data
folder (2014 data) only.

Shahzad