On 2/17/2016 10:38 PM, Brian Wright wrote:
> We have a new project to use Solr. Our Solr instance will use Jetty
> rather than Tomcat. We plan to extend the Solr core system by adding
> additional classes (jar files) to the
> /opt/solr/server/solr-webapp/webapp/WEB-INF/lib directory to extend
> features. We also plan to run two instances of Solr on each physical
> server preferably from a single installed Solr instance. I've read the
> best practices doc on running two Solr instances, and while it's
> detailed about how to set up two instances, it doesn't cover our
> specific use case.

Why do you want to run multiple instances on one server?  Unless you
have a REALLY good reason to have more than one instance per server,
don't do it.  One instance can handle many indexes with no problem.

The only valid reason I can think of to run more than one instance per
machine is when a single instance requires a VERY large heap.  In that
case, it *might* be better to run two instances that each have a smaller
heap, so that garbage collection times are lower.  I personally would
add more machines, rather than run multiple instances.

Generally the best way to load custom jars (and contrib components like
the dataimport handler) in Solr is to create a "lib" directory in the
solr home (where solr.xml lives) and place all extra jars there.  They
will be loaded once when Solr starts, and all cores will have access to
them.

The rest of your email was concerned with running multiple instances.
If you *REALLY* want to go against advice and do this, here's the
recommended way:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Taking+Solr+to+Production#TakingSolrtoProduction-RunningmultipleSolrnodesperhost

It is very likely possible to run multiple instances out of the same
installation directory, but I am not sure how to do it.

Thanks,
Shawn