On 2/24/2016 9:58 AM, Lokesh Chhaparwal wrote:
> Can someone please update on this exception trace while we are using
> distributed search using shards parameter (solr-master-slave).

The line of code where the NPE happened (from the 4.7.2 source) is in
XMLWriter.java, at line 190:

    for (String fname : doc.getFieldNames()) {

This means that "doc" is null.  This variable is pulled out of a
SolrDocumentList object, which means that whatever created that
SolrDocumentList managed to add a null entry.

I ran into a nearly identical stacktrace last year:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-solr-user/201509.mbox/%3c55f9e5df.1050...@elyograg.org%3E

I never did get a response to that message on the mailing list, and I
can no longer recall exactly what I did to fix it.  What little I do
remember suggests that this was caused by a situation where the field I
was grouping on was not present in at least one document.  This
situation should have been impossible in our data set, but occasionally
a badly formatted document will result in bad data in the database used
to populate Solr, which causes unexpected behavior.

Is this perhaps a query that uses grouping?  A similar problem might
happen with facets, but I am unsure about that.

Thanks,
Shawn