Hi Manohar,
This depends on your requirements/usecase. If postal code is interpreted as point than it is expected to have radius that is significantly larger than postal code diameter. In such case you can go with first approach. In order to avoid missing results from postal code in case of small search radius and large postal code, you can reverse geocode records and store postal code with each document. If you need to handle distance from postal code precisely - distance from its border, you have to get postal code polygon, expand it by search distance and use resulting polygon to find matches.

HTH,
Emir