We probably need a Jira to investigate whether this really is an explicitly
intentional feature change, or whether it really is a bug. And if it truly
was intentional, how people can work around the change to get the desired,
pre-5.5 behavior. Personally, I always thought it was a mistake that q.op
and mm were so tightly linked in Solr even though they are independent in
Lucene.

In short, I think people want to be able to set the default behavior for
individual terms (MUST vs. SHOULD) if explicit operators are not used, and
that OR is an explicit operator. And that mm should control only how many
SHOULD terms are required (Lucene MinShouldMatch.)

-- Jack Krupansky