bq: is there a better way to load a pre-built index quickly like
before

In a word (well, two) "Collection Aliasing". You have two collections
and an alias.
So your search URL stays constant, say 'aliasedcollection'. Then you index to
collectionA and point aliasedcollection to it. That's your live system.

Now you index to collectionB, and when it's done just point
aliasedcollection to collectionB.

You can still address collectionA and collectionB explicitly. So the
indexing process becomes
> point the alias to collectionA
> delete all docs on collectionB
> index to collectionB
> point the alias to collectionB

Repeat  switching A for B next time you index.

See the Collections API CREATEALIAS command.

Best,
Erick