On 11/03/2016 17:36, Jitka wrote:
Hello.  Our company uses Solr-4.10 in a distributed environment.  We are
considering how best to customize results based on user preferences,
information about which is obtained from an external   service.  At present
the preferences can be expressed as filters, but eventually we might want to
introduce boosts as well.

You might want to consider XJoin as well: here's a blog post we wrote on filtering using price discount data from an external source http://www.flax.co.uk/blog/2016/01/25/xjoin-solr-part-1-filtering-using-price-discount-data/

Cheers

Charlie

The options we are considering are

(1) a value source whose FunctionValues() function would make use of data
from the external service, and

(2) a separate core containing docs whose primary key is user_id and whose
other fields represent data from the service.  We would create filter
queries based on joins with this core.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.  Are we missing an obvious
alternative?

I assume that we would want to cache data from the service (in option (1))
or the join (in option (2)), and possibly also the values of the value
source's FunctionValues() function in option (1).  Would it make
sense to use SolrCaches for this purpose and register them in
solrconfig.xml?   If so, or if not, how would we ensure that these caches
could be updated whenever the service is updated?  How about ensuring that
the built-in caches don't prevent Solr from even looking at the custom
caches?  We could use the 'cache=false' option for the filterCache; would we
have to worry about other ones?

I see how how a join on a second core could support a filter, but how could
we use a second core to support boosts?  I suppose that if worse came to
worst we could forgo the join and simply make a call to the second core on
localhost to retrieve data to be used in a value source.  Is that a
practical solution?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Jitka