“Why do you care?” might not be the best way to say it, but it is essential to
understand the difference between selection (filtering) and ranking.

As Solr params:

* q is ranking and filtering
* fq is filtering only
* bq is ranking only

When deleting documents, ordering does not matter, which is why we ask why you
care about the ordering.

If the response is familiar to you, imagine how the questions sound to people
who have been working in search for twenty years. But even when we are snippy,
we still try to help.

Many, many times, the question is wrong. The most common difficulty on this
list is an “XY problem”, where the poster has problem X and has assumed
solution Y, which is not the right solution. But they ask about Y. So we will
tell people that their approach is wrong, because that is the most helpful
thing we can do.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org